Souskluitjies (Cinnamon Dumplings)
|This picture was taken off the internet.
My camera is playing up ;(
Our souskluitjies are smaller and smothered in custard)
250 ml cake flour (140 g)
10 ml baking powder
2 ml salt
50 ml margarine or butter
additional: seperate: 25 ml butter or margerine
120 ml full cream milk
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Rub in the 50 ml margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat the eggs and milk together, stir into the flour and mix to a soft dough. Then add the extra milk if necessary.
- Bring the water and the 25 ml margarine to the boil. Place spoonfuls of dough into the boiling water. Cover with the lid and allow to boil for 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid while cooking.
- Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon and place in a serving dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, according to your taste.
- Bring the water in which the dumplings were cooked in to the boil again. Add more cinnamon and sugar and pour over the dumplings.
Instead of doing step 5:
I like to make a hot custard to which I add more cinnamon and pour over the dumplings.
Also, if you like that extra bit of sweetness ***** drop small teaspoon blobs of your favourite jam onto the HOT custard (mine being smooth spricot) which has been poured over the dumplings, and let it melt.
Before rubbing into the flour, chill the butter or margarine until very hard, and grate coursley. This will save time and result in a lighter texture.